Join this fast-paced tour of China’s most incredible cultural gems. This two-week program takes you from the imperial glory of ancient Beijing, with visits to the Forbidden City and the Great Wall of China, to the new-age hustle and bustle of modern Shanghai, one of the world’s largest cities. Experience both the China of new and old while also giving back by volunteering at a world-renowned Panda Conservation Center. During your adventure, you’ll also taste some of China’s most famous culinary delights, including Sichuan hot pot and Shanghai-syle soup dumplings.
Travel Dates To Come
A small backpack is ideal as it will be used for day trips.
- A small backpack is ideal as it will be used for day trips.
- Chinese Visa
- 2 Photocopies of passport
- Book and/or journal
- Ear plugs
- Change of clothes
- Reusable water bottle (Nalgene sized)
- Additional community service forms
- Outlet power converter
- Consent to Travel Letter (for students under 19, recommended by the US State Dept but not required)
- Rustic Pathways emergency contacts
A 50-70 Liter duffel bag or backpack is ideal. A wheeled bag is suitable if it can be carried like a duffel bag over rough terrain.
- Underwear (12-14)
- Socks (10)
- T-Shirts with sleeves (7-10)
- Long sleeved shirt (2-4)
- Long, knee-length shorts (3-4)
- Lightweight pants/capris (1-2)
- Jeans (1)
- Lightweight rain jacket
- Pajamas (1)
(Travel size bottles in Ziploc bags)
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Oxybenzone-free sunscreen (reef-safe)
- Lip balm w/ SPF
- Bug spray
- Feminine hygiene products
- Contact solution
- Foam earplugs
- Personal med kit
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Small packs of tissues
- Razor/shaving cream
- Flashlight/Headlamp w/ Extra Batteries
- Watch or Clock with an Alarm
- Bag for dirty clothes
- Chinese phrasebook
- Portable games (Bananagrams, cards, etc.)
- Pictures of friends and family
- Frisbee, Aerobee, football, etc.
- Domestic airlines in China have a checked bag weight limit of 20 kilos (about 44 lbs). If your bags weigh more than this, the airline may charge you an excess baggage fee for every kilo over the allowed limit. In past years, we have had students incur SIGNIFICANT charges for excess baggage.