When you start to miss the taste, smells, and flavors of your last Rustic travel program, it’s time to hit the kitchen! You’ll be able to relive memories of the Dominican Republic with this delicious Carne Ripiada recipe. It’s a flavor-packed shredded beef stew that’s perfect served over rice.
INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS:
2 lbs beef flank
1 red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
½ red bell pepper, cut into small chunks
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp ground thyme
4 TB canola/veg oil
salt & pepper (to taste)
- Season flank with salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme
- In a large cast iron or skillet, heat 2 TB of oil. When oil is hot, sear the meat on both sides
- Cover meat with water (about 3 cups) and cover with a lid. Cook over low heat until meat is cooked and shreddable (about 45 mins). Make sure to flip the meat every once in a while, and add more water if it cooks off.
- While the beef is cooking, in a separate pot, heat 2TB of oil and cook the red onions until translucent.
- Add the bell peppers and garlic and simmer for about 5 minutes. (ADD 3 TB of SOFRITO/ SAZON – See below)
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about (with the lid on) 10 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and mushy.
- Once beef is cooked and tender, remove from the water and shred it.
- Add the shredded beef to the cooked tomato mixture, then add the tomato sauce and liquid from the meat.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat (lid on).
- Add salt to taste and serve with rice!
SOFRITO / SAZON INGREDIENTS:
Blend all ingredients in a food processor and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
6 garlic cloves
1 red onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 TB ground annatto (achiote)
1 TB apple cider vinegar
1 cup of tomato sauce
For step-by-step directions, watch our video tutorial:
If you’d like to taste authentic food from the Dominican Republic, please check out our student travel programs.