Explore beautiful Puerto Rico while exploring its many outdoor adventures. You’ll get a glimpse into the time of the Spanish Empire as you stroll through Old San Juan. At El Yunque, the only tropical forest in the US National Forest System, hike through the lush canopy and swim in crystal clear waters. Relax on the beautiful white sand beaches where several scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean were filmed.
- Ride the longest zipline in the Americas
- Practice your Spanish as you stroll through the cobblestone streets of Old San Juan
- Explore El Yunque rainforest
- Relax on beautiful white sand beaches
2022 Departure Dates
|June 4 – June 11, 2022||Available||Start Here|
Packing the right gear (and the right amounts) is the first step to an incredible travel experience. Follow these tips to pack like a pro:
Travel light. Pack only the essentials. You’ll need less than you think!
Bring the right clothes. Pack clothes that are culturally appropriate for your destination and acceptable for service projects. This means bringing long shorts (think Bermuda and basketball shorts), t-shirts with sleeves to cover shoulders, and appropriate footwear.
Leave your valuables behind. While traveling, it’s easier for things to get lost, stolen, or damaged. Keep any prized possessions safe at home.
Check with TSA. Make sure your luggage complies with TSA regulations, especially your carry-on. Useful tip: Pack an empty water bottle and fill it up after security.
Extra paperwork? If you need additional forms filled out to get credit for your service hours, no problem! Bring these forms with you so they can be completed in-country.
A school backpack is ideal as it will be used for day trips.
- Photocopy of passport
- Book and/or journal
- Ear buds
- Change of clothes
- Water bottle
- Additional community service forms
- Visa documentation (if applicable)
- Consent to Travel Letter (for students under 19, recommended by the US State Dept but not required)
- Rustic Pathways emergency contacts
A 50-70 Liter duffel bag or backpack is ideal.
- Socks (8)
- Underwear (8)
- Long service shorts (3-4)
- Long looser capris or quick dry pants (3-4)
- Dry quick long sleeve shirts (4-5)
- T-shirts (5-7)
- Tank tops (2-3)
- Long sleeve shirt and pants for colder camping nights (2)
- Long sleeve rash-guard (2-3)
- Rain jacket
- Closed-toed quick dry water shoes or strappy sandals (like Tevas or Chacos)
- Old close-toed sneakers for service work
- Work gloves
- Quick dry towel
- Beach towel/sarong
- Reusable bag for shopping
(travel sized in ziplock bags)
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Oxybenzone-free sunscreen (reef-safe) – preferably cream, not spray
- Bug spray
- Feminine hygiene products
- Contacts Contact solution
- Personal med kit
- Wet Wipes
- Razor/shaving cream
- Students must bring additional hand sanitizer and one disposable mask per day of the program, or three hand-washable masks.