Travel Info: Costa Rica

Rustic Pathways uses United Airlines for our escorted group flights from North America to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO). Students beginning their trip in North America are required to depart on one of our escorted group flights from one of our gateway airports — either Newark (EWR) or Houston (IAH). Students are responsible for arranging their own domestic travel to one of our gateway cities.

Students joining our programs from outside North America are responsible for arranging all their own travel to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) during a specified arrival window. Arriving outside this window may incur special transportation arrangements and fees.  Please reach out to your Personal Travel Advisor to confirm specific arrival and departure airports and times.

In some rare circumstances, parents and students from North America may make their own travel arrangements to San Jose, Costa Rica (but they must arrange to be on the same flight as our group). Please see our Costa Rica DIY Flight Policy for more information.

International Airfare
Students departing from outside North America are responsible for making all their own airfare arrangements. Some programs may have additional internal airfare costs. Please reference the program page for details.
  • Origin Airports:
    Houston (IAH) - $1,490; Newark (EWR) - $1,490
  • Destination Airport:
    San José, Costa Rica (SJO)
Internal Airfare

Some programs involve travel within the destination country. This airfare is charged separately and is dependent upon the program. Some programs have single in country flights, while other programs have multiple internal segments.

Connecting Destinations

Important: For additional information on the logistics of our escorted group flights, click here.

Visa Information

There are no visa requirements in Costa Rica for students traveling on United States passports.

Students traveling with Rustic Pathways on passports not issued by the United States are responsible for determining their own visa requirements. Please check with the appropriate consulate or embassy.