Experience a combination of adventure and exploration, perfect for students looking to get off the beaten path. Live in a remote camp and fall asleep to the uninterrupted flow of the river. Relish the escape from technology and adapt to your heavenly surroundings. Prepare traditional foods, hike to see magnificent views, play games with locals, and enjoy an area of Fiji where few tourists ever venture. Witness spectacular sunsets and swim in tranquil waters just steps from your front door. Swim, kayak, scuba dive (add-on activity), and hike through gorgeous hills overlooking stunning waterfalls. Or just relax with a book on the beach and enjoy this island paradise.
Students love watching the sunrise over the island during an early morning hike!
Packing the right gear (and the right amounts) is the first step to an incredible travel experience. Follow these tips to pack like a pro:
Travel light. Pack only the essentials. You’ll need less than you think!
Bring the right clothes. Pack clothes that are culturally appropriate for your destination and acceptable for service projects. This means bringing long shorts (think Bermuda and basketball shorts), t-shirts with sleeves to cover shoulders, and appropriate footwear.
Leave your valuables behind. While traveling, it’s easier for things to get lost, stolen, or damaged. Keep any prized possessions safe at home.
Check with TSA. Make sure your luggage complies with TSA regulations, especially your carry-on. Useful tip: Pack an empty water bottle and fill it up after security.
Extra paperwork? If you need additional forms filled out to get credit for your service hours, no problem! Bring these forms with you so they can be completed in-country.
A school backpack or a similar sized bag is ideal.
- Photocopy of passport
- Journal and pens
- Ear buds
- Change of clothes
- Water bottle
- Additional community service forms
- Any relevant Scuba Diving certifications
- Small backpack or overnight bag (if not already using as carry-on)
- Outlet power converter
- Consent to Travel form
- Rustic Pathways emergency contacts
A 50-70 Liter duffel or backpack is ideal.
- Socks (3-4)
- Underwear (6-8)
- Pants/capris (1-2)
- Long shorts (must be knee length)
- Long skirt (1-2)
- Tank Tops (2-3)
- T-shirts (3-5)
- Long sleeved shirt (1-2)
- Swimsuit (1-2)
- Quick dry towel
- Beach towel/sarong
- Rain jacket
- Strappy sandals (like Tevas or Chacos)
(Travel size bottles in Ziploc bags)
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Oxybenzone-free sunscreen (reef-safe)
- Bug spray
- Feminine hygiene products
- Contacts solution
- Foam ear plugs
- Personal med kit
- Wet Wipes
- Razor/shaving cream
- Work gloves
- Sleeping bag (35 degrees and up)
- Visas for students traveling on U.S. passports will be issued upon arrival. Make sure you check that you are in Fiji on “Holiday” when you fill out the customs and immigration form on the plane.
- Leggings DO NOT count as long shorts. Long shorts must be loose fitting, like basketball shorts, or cargo shorts.
- You will be receiving a “sulu,” a traditional Fijian sarong, when you arrive!