Join us on a week of pure adventure on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica! Start off with a mountain biking tour in the Turrialba Valley before beginning a two-day whitewater rafting trip down the Pacuare River. The adventure doesn’t stop as you hike to waterfalls, go zip lining, and kayaking in the rainforest of Turrialba. Then, head out to the coast where you will have plenty of beach time and surfing lessons. Settle into the laid-back Caribbean lifestyle influenced by both Afro-indigenous and traditional tico culture.
2021 Departure Dates
|July 27 – August 4, 2021||Available||Enroll Now|
Packing the right gear (and the right amounts) is the first step to an incredible travel experience. Follow these tips to pack like a pro:
Travel light. Pack only the essentials. You’ll need less than you think!
Bring the right clothes. Pack clothes that are culturally appropriate for your destination and acceptable for service projects. This means bringing long shorts (think Bermuda and basketball shorts), t-shirts with sleeves to cover shoulders, and appropriate footwear.
Leave your valuables behind. While traveling, it’s easier for things to get lost, stolen, or damaged. Keep any prized possessions safe at home.
Check with TSA. Make sure your luggage complies with TSA regulations, especially your carry-on. Useful tip: Pack an empty water bottle and fill it up after security.
A school backpack is ideal as it will be used for day trips.
- Photocopy of passport
- Book and/or journal
- Ear buds
- Change of clothes
- Water bottle
- Additional community service forms
- Visa documentation (if applicable)
- Consent to Travel form
- Rustic Pathways emergency contacts
A 50-70 Liter duffel bag or backpack is ideal.
- Socks (8)
- Underwear (8)
- Jeans (1)
- Long Shorts* (2-3)
- T-shirt (6)
- Tank tops (4)
- Long sleeve shirt (1)
- Rain jacket
- Strappy sandals (like Tevas or Chacos)
- Quick dry towel
- Beach towel/sarong
(travel sized in ziplock bags)
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Oxybenzone-free sunscreen (reef-safe)
- Bug spray
- Feminine hygiene products
- Contact solution
- Foam earplugs
- Personal med kit
- Wet Wipes
- Razor/shaving cream
- *Community Service Appropriate Attire includes T-shirts and tank tops with no visible undergarments and shorts with a 3” or more inseam.
- Don’t forget the Big Five: Water Bottle, Sunscreen, Bug spray, Rain jacket, Closed-toe shoes.
- Students must bring additional hand sanitizer and one disposable mask per day of the program, or three hand-washable masks.