* The By Invitation Only application period is closed for this year.
Learn More About this Program
The application deadline for the 2018 By Invitation Only Program is January 15, 2018 at 11:59pm PST. The Critical Issues Committee will review applications during late January through early February, and applicants will be notified February 19, 2018. Students who are accepted will begin preparing for the experience six to eight weeks before departure on June 16, 2018.
- Creative Sample:
Upload an example of something you have created that you are proud of. You do not need to create anything new for this. It could be a project for school, a video of a dance you choreographed, a photo of a piece of art you’ve created, a scrap book, whatever! Because our review application team will be reviewing a lot of applications, please consider that they will have limited time to review this project, so choose something digestible in a short period of time. Please title the file: FirstNameLastNameCreativeSample ex. RachelLevinCreativeSample
- Photo Submission:
Please upload a photo of you that shows you being you. If you are accepted, this will be included in our social media announcement. Please title the file: FirstNameLastNamePhotoSubmission ex. RachelLevinPhotoSubmission
- Future Challenges Video Submission:
What is one issue that you think will challenge your generation that is not getting enough attention in media or general awareness? How could you play a part in alleviating this issue? Please record a video of yourself answering this question and upload it to a private YouTube page. Video Requirements: The video must be smaller than 10 MB and less than 90 seconds. If you do not have a Youtube account, you will have to create one, then upload your video (please set this to “public” or “unlisted”). If you are selected, the RP Creative Team may use this video on our social platforms. Please place the URL to your uploaded YouTube video in the given space on the form.
- Short Essay Responses
- Essay 1: Understanding Race:
This program seeks to create dialogue and action around racial issues in the United States. Why do you think this topic is one of growing importance in the United States and our world? Why are you passionate about this topic, and why are you interested in joining this program?
- Essay 2: Commitment Projects
We’re covering the program fee and airfare because we don’t want cost to prevent anyone from taking advantage of this opportunity. If accepted, you will be asked to participate in a Commitment Project where you will use the skills and ideas you learned on program to make an impact in your hometown/city. The action that you take is up to you. For example, you might volunteer with a non-profit whose mission is to alleviate racial disparities in the education system, start a diversity and inclusion club at your school, or write an op-ed piece about racial inequities in the judicial system for your student newspaper. Based on your personal strengths, what is one commitment you would like to make when you return?
- Essay 3: Leadership
We believe that the best leaders understand their personal leadership style. What’s your leadership style? Please provide an example that illustrates how you have been a leader in your school or local community.
- Short Question Response (‘Getting to Know You’ section of application)
- The Group Experience
If it were up to you to choose the other students who would go on this program with you, what are the top five characteristics you would look for in your trip mates? Why?
How do you consider yourself diverse?
- Character Reference:
Please list the name, title, and email of an adult (not a family member) that we can contact about your fit for this program. This person will also be your accountability partner for your Commitment Project when you return. What is your relationship with this person?
- Parent/Guardian Confirmation
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 18 within 60 days of travel to be eligible to apply.
- We are asking you to create a project plan. Our support is contingent on your acceptance into the program, Race in America. If you are going to approach an outside organization about your commitment project, please be sure that they understand that you are still in the application process.
- Final candidates will be asked to complete an interview with the Critical Issues Review Committee. A student offered an interview is not automatically offered a spot on this program.
- Final candidates will be interviewed with our review committee over Skype.
- Dates and Deadlines: Application will go live on October 17, 2017 at 12:00am PT. The application will close January 15, 2018 at 11:59pm PT. We will announce accepted students on February 19, 2018.
- This program will not be offered to students who are not selected through this application process.
- Every doc must be titled with FirstNameLastNameNameOfDoc (ex. RachelLevinCreativeSample).
If you have any questions in the meantime, or need to withdraw your application for any reason, please reach out to email@example.com.
We recommend you work on your application offline in a separate document, and copy and paste into this online application when your answers are complete.