By planning ahead, reading all material, and following the rules, the vast majority of our students are able to complete their chosen programs. We encourage all participants to purchase a travel insurance policy that allows for more flexibility and covers cancellations that occur outside of the refundable period of our cancellation policy.
Cancellation Policy for Gap Year Programs
The trip cancellation date is determined by the date we receive written notice by email or fax requesting a cancellation of the participant’s program(s). Verbal notice will not serve as a valid cancellation notification. Removal from the program due to violations of program rules will be considered cancellation by the student and will result in no refund of program cost.
- Cancellation by you more than 90 days prior to participant’s first scheduled departure date – will result in a full refund of your total program cost.
- Cancellation by you between 89 and 45 days prior to participant’s first scheduled departure date – will result in a loss of 50% of your total program cost.
- Cancellation by you less than 45 days prior to participant’s first scheduled departure date – will result in the loss of 100% of your total program cost.
- The application fee is nonrefundable.
- Internal airfare charges will not be refundable with the program charges if non-refundable bookings have been made, regardless of when cancellation occurs. Internal airfare charges will be refunded in full for any flight bookings that have not been made, regardless of when cancellation occurs.
Cancellation by Rustic Pathways
Rustic Pathways will make a final decision to offer or cancel a program not less than 60 days prior to the start date for a given program. If a program is cancelled by Rustic Pathways prior to the start date, the participant may choose between a full refund of the application fee and all money paid for the canceled program and internal flights or a credit valid towards any other program offered by Rustic Pathways. If a trip is cancelled by Rustic Pathways after it has begun, a portion of the total payment will be refunded.
Rustic Pathways is not responsible for any expenses paid by the participant to third parties such as airlines and hotels. In the event that a program is canceled by Rustic Pathways and the participant chooses a less expensive alternate program, the participant will receive a refund of the difference in cost. If a more expensive program is selected, the participant must pay the difference.