Global Issues Design Challenge offers a unique visit with a local Rustic team to understand critical global issues. We are happy to discuss customizing a program to the length, location, or critical issue topic of your choice. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Build your students’ skills to change the world on a week-long (remote) adventure to Laos. Meet the local team and learn about Laos’ work to tackle the issues of human rights, environmental issues, or health infrastructure. Then, using IDEO’s Design Thinking framework, your students will collaborate with their team to identify a specific problem and develop and pitch a solution.
During the Global Issues Design Challenge, your students will:
- Be empowered to take real action at a time when the world is ready for change.
- Develop creative thinking skills, grow as a global citizen, and have practiced thinking about systems for change.
- Discuss issues with like-minded Rustic Pathways staff and experts from around the world.
- Apply a Design Thinking framework to quickly iterate creative solutions.
- Earn a 15 hour Community Impact Certificate reflecting the time spent on the program.
- Build something to brag about on their college transcripts.
Rustic program leaders will guide your class on this learning journey, and local experts will join to share context and insights. Your students will drive the learning journey, diving into burning questions about how these critical issues impact our world, and where their passions and interests connect with creating meaningful change.
Monday : Empathize – Live interaction with the Laos country team. Learn about the issues Laos is facing.
Tuesday : Define – Students will get to know their Rustic Pathways program leader and team. Further discussions help build background knowledge.
Wednesday : Ideate – Students brainstorm ideas with their teams on how they might address the issues at hand. The sky’s the limit here!!!!
Thursday : Prototype & Test – Working with their groups, students flesh out their solution concept and plan a final presentation.
Friday : Present – Live presentations of plans! The team with the best plan wins Rustic gear!